The flu shot is the best way to avoid getting influenza because it stimulates the body to produce antibodies against the influenza virus.
Tel: (306) 842-8399
For General Inquiries:
ProgramsReturn to directory
Sun Country Health Region unveiled a regional CT scanner in St. Joseph’s Hospital of Estevan in early 2016.
About computed tomography (CT)
Computed tomography (CT) is an advanced method of using x-rays from multiple angles to view systems or organs in the body, often providing a three-dimensional view.
CT scans are often used to determine the extent of internal injuries after an accident or other trauma. They are commonly used to view very small bones and surrounding tissues such as muscles and blood vessels. Imaging can be used on all parts of the body to help diagnose internal issues. CT is a key tool immediately following a stroke to determine the best care options and improve chances of recovery.
Why does Sun Country Health Region need CT services?
Patients in southeast Saskatchewan often need to travel to Regina or another location for a CT scan, either because of an injury or to diagnose a medical condition.
The addition of CT services at St. Joseph’s Hospital of Estevan:
- Improves access for patients in southeastern Saskatchewan;
- Helps meet increased demand due to population growth;
- Increases overall capacity for medical imaging services in the province; and
- Decreases demand for these services in Regina and regional hospitals in southern Saskatchewan.
How is this new service benefitting patients in South East Saskatchewan?
The availability of CT services at St. Joseph’s Hospital of Estevan:
- Provides patients in southeast Saskatchewan with access to specialized diagnostic services closer to home;
- Reduces travel time and expense for patients; and
- Reduces wait times, allowing for quicker diagnosis and treatment.
- The number of patients receiving CT service each year in Saskatchewan has increased by 24 per cent since 2008-09, from about 80,000 patients to almost 99,000 patients in 2014-15. There is a further increase of 2.6 per cent for 2015-16, totalling over 101,000 patients.
- In 2015, over 2,600 patients from Sun Country Health Region were referred to the Regina Qu’Appelle Health Region for CT services, with approximately 3,700 exams performed.
- Approximately 240 patients will be served by the new CT scanner St. Joseph’s Hospital by end of March 2016.
- It is anticipated the scanner will perform over 4,500 exams in 2016-17